Saturday, May 1, 2010

Fourth Sunday of Easter ~ The Cure - Lovesong

On the fourth Sunday of Easter, we look back to an earlier point in the Gospels to Jesus foretelling his departure. Though these stories take place before the events of Jesus' death and resurrection, they are retold here as we approach the Ascension - Jesus' bodily return to heaven. Though Jesus has been raised from the dead he does not remain for long. He must return to heaven. He has shown us the way, and now he must move on.

As I considered the bittersweet tone of this, I was reminded of this song by The Cure. Having gone through my own angst filled years listening to this song, I could recognize the depth of love as well as the pain of impending departure. As the refrain says, "however far away , I will always love you; however long I stay, I will always love you; whatever words I say, I will always love you; I will always love you." In these words, we hear the pain of the parting that will occur, but also the love that will not end and will continue no matter how far apart we may seem to be. This is Christ's love for us - even we we feel alone and feel that Jesus is far away from us, his love for us never waivers. Thanks be to God!

No comments: