Monday, May 10, 2010

Fifth Sunday of Easter ~ Indigo Girls - Love Will Come to You

Well our theme for the fifth Sunday of Easter was Jesus' promise of the Holy Spirit. As Jesus is preparing to leave, not only does he promise to always be with us, but he promises to send us an advocate. This advocate, the Holy Spirit, will come to us to strengthen us that we may continue the work that Christ began.

For this theme, I turn again to the Indigo Girls. Though I myself am a fan of the Indigo Girls, I must confess that the songs that appear both in my previous list for Lent as well as this song come courtesy of April. Whenever I get stuck finding a song to go with a particular theme, I know that I can turn to April, give her the theme and any ideas I have, and she can name an Indigo Girls song to go with it. She actually had two songs for this theme, but I settled on this one.

This song speaks to me of loss and the comfort offered by another. It speaks of the promise of love and the multiplication of that love. If we look back in Christian theology, we can find references to the Holy Spirit as the personification of the love between the other two persons of the Trinity. In fact, the Holy Spirit has even been referred to as the kiss shared by the Father and the Son. At any rate, this love spills over to humanity, that we may know something of that divine love and therefore share that love with others.

When Jesus is promising the coming Spirit, he is speaking to the divine love that will be shared with all of his followers. This divine love is still present and at work in the world, inviting and embracing, teaching us how to be with one another. Love truly does make the world go around!

No comments: