Friday, July 17, 2009

Baby Brain

I have often heard my pregnant girlfriends talk about their experience of "baby brain." While I could conceptually understand what they were describing, I never really got it. That is, until now. Some research says it's a myth, some says it's a reality. All I know is that my brain ain't workin' right!

Some of you may not know what baby brain is, but here's what it is in my case. Normally, I am a bright, intelligent woman who has good reasoning skills and can adapt to new and changing situations. Now I find myself extremely forgetful, even ditsy, in situations which any reasonably intelligent person could easily navigate. These two situations happened in the last two days.

Yesterday, I went to get the car washed. I pulled in, and the guys immediately started spraying my car. I felt paralyzed when I realized that one of the workers was trying to get me to open the car door. I needed to get out of the car, and yet somehow I could not figure that out. It was like sitting in a fog. Then, when I got inside, I froze at the desk. The man asked, "You want your car washed, right?" "Yes, yes, that's what I need." It was as if I had never gotten my car washed before. I'm sure the clerk thought I was nuts. I even put my head on the counter at one point, trying to figure out what I needed.

Just a few minutes ago, I went to get the oil changed. I got to the bay door and proceeded to drive in, when attendant stopped me. He would drive it in; I just needed to get out of the car. (This I just attributed to the fact that I had never been to this site before.) The rest of the time there was an absolute blur. I just remember that the attendant came into the waiting room and said my car was done, and I proceeded to walk out and get into the car - trying to drive it out of the bay. The attendant then reminded me that he would drive it out, so I just walked outside and waited for my car. Then the attendant reminded me that I had not paid for the oil change.

Talk about TOTAL EMBARRASSMENT! I could not believe that I had just unintentionally tried to skip out on paying for my oil change. The fog thickens.

If I am this ditsy and feel this incompetent at 24 weeks, how I am going to feel at 38 weeks! Oh my...the next 16 weeks are going to be interesting!

Pregnant or formally pregnant women...tell me your stories of baby brain and make me feel better about my predicament.

7 comments:

Jess said...

Haha! I didn't realize you are due the week before me- Sydney is due Nov. 15, but I've decided I'll be happy to have her anytime after the Nov. 1.
Yesterday, I bought a book for a friend's baby shower: "Joseph and the Coat of Many Colors". And then I proceeded to write inside the cover, "May you grow to share the wisdom and integrity of DAVID"-- oops!!! I just added "and Joseph too" and hoped the other expecting mom would laugh =)

Traci said...

april - i'm not pregnant yet. hopefully in the next year or two, but i have to say, that post made me laugh OUT LOUD, girlie. take some time to laugh at yourself. xoxo

Anonymous said...

yeah...If I could remember the many stories, I would be happy to share :) I think baby brain was worse than pregnancy brain though.

Cailin said...

i definitely had those moments while i was pregnant. i figured my blood had more important things to do than keep my brain supplied at its usual level. :) i can't think of a particular story of my own, but my colleague who was pregnant at the same time had a great one. she and her husband were driving in the countryside and they passed a dirt track where people were racing remote-control cars. like tiny little cars, right? and she says to her husband, "how do they get in to drive those things? they must be little kids or something!" and then she immediately realized how ridiculous that was. interesting that both of your stories and hers have to do with cars.... :)

JB said...

I can't remember a specific example but I do remember being quite forgetful. And like you are saying, moments where obvious things just aren't clear at fist. Once the baby comes I blamed on being tired but there is something to this pregnancy brain for sure. Hang in there!!

Elissa said...

SO many "wait, what?" moments during the last few weeks at school... I was glad when I could finally tell folks I was pregnant (so I had something to attribute the duh factor to!).

MJC said...

If it makes you feel any better, I stepped in the shower today to find a bottle of conditioner which I know I returned to the store because it was the wrong kind. Jon swears he didn't buy it. So, either I returned the one "wrong kind" and bought it AGAIN without remembering I bought it. Or I distinctly remember returning something that I didn't actually return. Either way, I am likely going crazy. 5 wks to go.