Friday, January 25, 2008

Songs for the Journey: Lent

A couple of years ago, while getting some music together for a road trip, I noticed a mix CD of April's called Happy Advent! It was a CD that her roommate Courtney had given her. I think we were nearing Lent at the time, and I said, "I wonder what a mix CD for Lent would sound like?" It kind of stuck in my head. Then last year, as I was preparing a sermon for Lent, I was looking for a theme, and came across a list of themes on the General Board of Discipleship worship website for each Sunday of Lent. So starting there, I put together a playlist for each of the major days/events of Lent.

Ash Wednesday ~ Piety & Reconciliation
Hoobastank - The Reason
Lent Week 1 ~ Temptation of Jesus
Carl Thomas Gladstone - Just a Tempter
Lent Week 2 ~ God's Faithfulness & Our Resistance
The Pretenders - I'll Stand By You
Lent Week 3 ~ Repentance & Trust
Pet Shop Boys - It's a Sin
Lent Week 4 ~ Prodigal Mercy/Forgiveness
Indigo Girls - You and Me of the 10,000 Wars
Lent Week 5 ~ God Does a New Thing
U2 - Where the Streets Have No Name
Palm Sunday ~ Triumphant Entry (The Disciples' Song)
Queen - We Are the Champions
Maundy Thursday ~ Call to Servanthood
My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade
Judas' Song ~ Disillunsionment & Betrayal
Ani diFranco - Dilate
Peter's Song ~ Denial & Shame
Pet Shop Boys w/ Kylie Minogue - In Denial
Good Friday ~ Jesus' Song
System of a Down - Lonely Day
Holy Saturday ~ Loss & Emptiness
Evanescence - My Immortal
Easter Vigil
K-OS - Sunday Morning
Easter
Ben Harper w/ Ladysmith Black Mambazo - Picture of Jesus

I'll talk about why I chose these songs in upcoming posts. I am also planning to create playlists for the other seasons of the church year, but that may take me as long as this one did. :)

2 comments:

Court said...

i absolutely love it!! Can't wait for upcoming lists!

JB said...

Very cool - and a creative idea!