Monday, March 21, 2011

Trip to Seattle - part 1

We had a great trip to Seattle for the AACRAO 2011 annual meeting. This group is the primary professional organization for college and university registrar's. It involves several days of small meetings and seminars on best practices in the field and solutions that people have found for common problems. Sometimes, it gets a little too big school centered, but I always learn a lot while I'm there. and of course, this year it was in Seattle, one of my favorite cities to visit. I may have to take a stab at living there sometime, but for now a visit is great.

There are so many things to see and do there. and the view is simply incredible (when it's not too cloudy!). One of the things I really wanted to do this time was to visit the Science Fiction Museum/Experience Music project. Yes, you read that correctly. They have a scifi museum and music museum all in one...a truly interesting experience (http://www.empsfm.org/).

Of course, my bad luck, the main scifi exhibit hall was closed for renovations, so I had to settle for the Battlestar Galactica special exhibit. but they did their best to make it up for me since it was the primary reason for my visit.

I did not really view the music stuff, but the sculpture in the entry way was quite amazing. It is a 35 foot tall tornado made up of hundreds of guitars.
And of course, there was Battlestar Galactica. I won't post all my pics here, maybe on facebook. but suffice it to say, it was a quite impressive collection of both the recent SciFi Channel series (I know they changed their name, but I refuse to acknowledge that ridiculousness beyond merely mentioning it) and the old 1978 series. Here are a few selected images.


And perhaps my favorite part of the exhibit was not even part of the exhibit at all. These signs surrounded every display. :-)


Stay tuned for more from Seattle. In our next episode: where will the concierge send our intrepid hero for good local food?

3 comments:

April said...

Clearly, this post is written by Vince and not our usual author.

Erin said...

April - are you saying you weren't as thrilled to see the Battlestar Galactica exhibit?? :)

April said...

I'm saying that I didn't even GO to the museum. I was riding the ferry across Puget Sound.