Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A Reflection on Popcorn

Of all of the snacks in the world, crunchy and salty ones are my favorite. Most snacks of this sort I can no longer eat. But the one crunchy, salty treat that I CAN have is popcorn! I often have popcorn as part of my afternoon snack. Today, as I looked into my bowl of popcorn, I was amazed that I had never paid much attention to how interesting popcorn is (to me, anyway).




I don't always eat butter on my popcorn, but it does taste delicious that way. What I find so interesting about popcorn is how each popped kernel is like a snowflake...no two kernels look alike. Some are popped so well that no part of the kernel husk (I don't know what it is actually called) is left showing. Others only pop half way, and some barely pop and are resigned to be at the bottom of the bowl hoping you'll crunch on it anyway...which I always do.


Popcorn is simply delicious. I had a friend (you know who you are) tell me last week that she had popcorn and a half bottle of wine for dinner two nights last week. This is what happens when your hubby is out of town. Popcorn is fabulous! I also like to sometimes put Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning on it for a little kick.

Today, I'm thinking we need an airpopper, so that I make my snack a bit healthier...with a bit less salt. What's your favorite popcorn topping?

2 comments:

Erin said...

Popcorn is my favorite food ever!!! You know the night Tim and I got engaged, we ate popcorn and drank wine. They go well together! I like to cook my popcorn on the stove and top it with a little bit of salt. No butter for me.

Heather said...

Pepper and garlic powder are good on popcorn. I want an air popper, too, but you do need to put something on it to make the salt, creole seasoning, whatever stick.