Saturday, February 14, 2009

Sympathy Pains?

I promised I would update you all on my back progress. I met with the neurosurgeon after my MRI. It turns out that I have two bulging disks, a torn muscle, and another spastic muscle. There is nothing medically that can really be done. I have finished my last round of steroids (not fun), but I am still in pain quite a bit.

"What can be done?" I ask the doctor. "Swimming and pilates" is the answer (not to mention another 4-8 weeks of physical therapy). I have to strengthen my core and back muscles; otherwise, I will continue to have back problems throughout my life. So, I'm managing. I have been back to work full-time, and my organization is being great about me working from home about half of the time. That makes it possible for me to rest my back when I need it. Sitting is really the most uncomfortable position.

When I take the time to rest, I usually go in the bedroom and lie down on the heating pad. Two rounds of 20 minutes (on my upper and lower back). When I get up, however, someone else always gets in my place. Could she be having sympathy pains?



Ahh...Pandora...always stealing my spot!

2 comments:

Corvallis First UMC said...

Pandora makes me giggle...KITTENS! Peace out, Court

Elissa said...

Yowza! I'm sorry you're in a holding pattern. Unfixable pain is the worst. But I'm glad you got some info so you can take care of yourself while you wait for your magic body to do its thing. =)